Saturday, March 6, 2010

1 Nephi 8:24 (24–28)

24 And it came to pass that I beheld others pressing forward, and they came forth and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness, clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree.

[verses 24–28] These verses describe a set of people who are very sad to me. After doing everything right, getting on the path, clinging to the rod of iron, pressing forward to the point of partaking of the fruit of the Tree of Life, the Love of God, they blow it. They get ashamed and self-conscious because they are different from those who are making fun of them. I hope and pray that I am not in this group. These people almost endure to the end, but once t hey get to where they want to be they give it up for popularity, or some other equally unworthy motive.

One thing I do admire about Christians these day, and especially Evangelical Christians in the “Bible Belt” is that they are not ashamed to be Christian. While I may not agree with some of their doctrines, I am encouraged to see them stand up to a very anti-Christian world. I think that gradually they are gaining that same respect for the LDS Church members, as we stand up to with them, and often lead the way in some issues that are definitely not taught by the Lord. I hope that I am that bold when it comes down to it.

No comments: