Saturday, April 10, 2010

1 Nephi Chapter 9 Overview

Nephi makes two sets of records—Each is called the plates of Nephi—The larger plates contain a secular history; the smaller ones deal primarily with sacred things. Between 600 and 592 B.C.

This is kind of a transition chapter. As Talmage indicates, the translation is from an abridgement of Lehi’s ministry to an account of his (Nephi's) own (see Articles of Faith, 263–264). Nephi also tells us that he has two sets of plates going. The larger set is for the day-to-day history of the people, a political history, if you will, as it records the history of the kings. This, however, is the smaller set of plates and is reserved for the ministry of the people. From that I understand that the things written herein are of a spiritual nature. Even the historical narrative has a spiritual purpose. So that is how I will approach The Book of Mormon: with the understanding that it is a spiritual record first and foremost. I assume the historical events included are to give context to the spiritual principles being taught, or that the events themselves have some spiritual lesson.

No comments: