8 Yea, even he should go forth and cry in the wilderness: Prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight; for there standeth one among you whom ye know not; and he is mightier than I, whose shoe’s latchet I am not worthy to unloose. And much spake my father concerning this thing.
I’m not sure I have totally appreciated who John the Baptist is and his significance in the mission of Jesus Christ. And yet Jesus called him the greatest among men that were born of women (Matthew 11:11). That’s a pretty strong statement, and John turns around and says he is not even worthy to unloose Christ’s shoe latchet. John understood his mission well and fulfilled it flawlessly. He prepared the way for Christ to perform His ministry. This was a direct fulfillment of prophecy.
- Matthew 3:3 (1–3)
- Matthew 11:7–11
- John 1:23
No comments:
Post a Comment