Wednesday, November 17, 2010

1 Nephi 11:18–20

18 And he said unto me: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh.

19 And it came to pass that I beheld that she was carried away in the Spirit; and after she had been carried away in the Spirit for the space of a time the angel spake unto me, saying: Look!

20 And I looked and beheld the virgin again, bearing a child in her arms.

Here Nephi is allowed to see for himself how Christ was to come miraculously into the world. He doesn’t need to see the details of how Jesus was conceived; that doesn’t matter. What matters is that Christ is literally the Son of God, not how it happened to be so. This is, to my knowledge, the earliest record in all the scriptures, giving this much detail as to how this virgin was to conceive the Son of God. Again, this is a story I have heard my whole life, but Nephi was seeing this for the first time. Do I take this miracle for granted? Having seen this for himself, Nephi can testify with sure knowledge regarding the divinity of Christ.

No comments: