Saturday, September 17, 2011

1 Nephi 14:17

17 And when the day cometh that the wrath of God is poured out upon the mother of harlots, which is the great and abominable church of all the earth, whose founder is the devil, then, at that day, the work of the Father shall commence, in preparing the way for the fulfilling of his covenants, which he hath made to his people who are of the house of Israel.

This verse kind of caught me off guard a little. When I think of the last days I don’t have to imagine, because I’m living them. Sometimes I forget that the “last days” went way back to the Restoration and Joseph Smith. So when this verse describes conditions with the “mother of harlots, which is the great and abominable church of all the earth, whose founder is the devil,” I think the reference is to today. Then this verse said, “at that day, the work of the Father shall commence,” and I stopped. That work commenced with Joseph Smith. This verse and others like it paint a pretty grim picture of this time when the work will commence. How far have we gone down the road of “the mother of harlots” since Joseph Smith’s time? How much worse are conditions now than they were then? That really gives me something to think about. How much worse does it need to get before the real end comes? Things are pretty bad now. How bad does it need to get before it’s bad enough?

  • 1 Nephi 22:16 (15–16)
  • 3 Nephi 20:20 (19–21)
  • 3 Nephi 21:26 (7, 20–29)

No comments: