Friday, March 30, 2012

1 Nephi Chapter 16 Overview

The wicked take the truth to be hard—Lehi’s sons marry the daughters of Ishmael—The Liahona guides their course in the wilderness—Messages from the Lord are written on the Liahona from time to time—Ishmael dies; his family murmurs because of afflictions. About 600–592 B.C.

This chapter seems to be about faith, faithfulness, and how it helps you deal with adversity. Nephi talks about how the guilty can’t handle criticism, then tells a couple of their experiences, possibly to illustrate his point. Chapter nine says that this is a spiritual record, so as I study this chapter I will consider it from the standpoint of what spiritual lesson can be learned. After all, of all the hardships they experienced during eight years in the wilderness, why choose these particular ones to tell about? It’s possible that they were just the most extreme examples of their sufferings, but I want to try a different approach to their significance.

No comments: