32 And it came to pass that I did return to our tents, bearing the beasts which I had slain; and now when they beheld that I had obtained food, how great was their joy! And it came to pass that they did humble themselves before the Lord, and did give thanks unto him.
It is interesting to me how even after all that had happened
in connection with this episode: Nephi’s preaching, the family’s repentance,
the Liahona writing, after all that, there is no mention that Nephi received any help with the hunting. In
fact, he came back bearing beasts, and they beheld that he had obtained food. I
think that if I had been chastened by the Lord (vs. 25), if I had seen the
writing on the Liahona and felt that fear that they did (vs. 27), if I had felt
the depth of sorrow and repentance that they did (vs. 25), I would have offered
to help with the hunt. But there is no mention of help, just how happy everyone
was when he came home with the food. He must have had at least one pack animal
with him, such as a camel, because I don’t think that Nephi alone could have
carried enough meat to feed the size of company I think they had. This is kind
of like when they went to get the brass plates. There’s no indication then that
he got any offers for help there either, even after the angel came. Nephi just
went and did what needed to be done. I wonder if Nephi refused offers of help,
or if there were just no offers. It’s possible also that he could have taken
some servants or people outside his blood family who may have also come with
them.It just seems curious to me.