Wednesday, February 6, 2013

1 Nephi 17: 47


47 Behold, my soul is rent with anguish because of you, and my heart is pained; I fear lest ye shall be cast off forever. Behold, I am full of the Spirit of God, insomuch that my frame has no strength.
One of the most spiritually difficult things to endure is re-entering the “real world” after a particularly spiritual experience. For example, you come home after a church meeting that was especially uplifting, and everyone at home is watching TV, or worse yet, arguing or something. This could be what Nephi is struggling with. After all, he had just received a pretty direct revelation where he was shown plans for the ship they were to build. He goes from that to his brothers, who, true to form, are in opposition to anything from the Lord. It’s no wonder his “soul [was] rent with anguish” because of them. Spiritual experiences, plus extreme sorrow, plus inspired calls to repentance equals loss of strength. Intense spiritual experiences are physically draining. I have had experiences (temple dedications come to mind) that were so spiritual as to leave me physically wrung out, no strength to do anything. The scriptures record that experience shared by others as well, besides Nephi, as described in this verse. Lehi experienced it (1 Nephi 1:7), Moses experienced it (Moses 1:9–10), Joseph Smith experienced it (JS-H 1:20). I’ve never seen God face to face like these prophets, but my experiences have been enough for me. I don’t know where I heard this, but I remember hearing that Joseph Smith talked about how his brethren hadn’t built up endurance for intense spiritual manifestations yet, so they tired easily afterward, where he didn’t so much, owing to all his experience.
  • Daniel 10: 8 (8, 17)
  • 1 Nephi 1: 7
  • Moses 1: 9–10
  • Joseph Smith-History 1: 20

No comments: