Tuesday, July 23, 2013

1 Nephi 19: 6


6 Nevertheless, I do not write anything upon plates save it be that I think it be sacred. And now, if I do err, even did they err of old; not that I would excuse myself because of other men, but because of the weakness which is in me, according to the flesh, I would excuse myself.
The ancients like Nephi obviously had to have had something less permanent than plates to write on. They had things like animal skins primarily. Paper had definitely not been invented yet, and I don’t think that even papyrus was invented at the time of Nephi’s record. The point is that Nephi knew the sacred nature of his record made it so it needed to be much more permanent and durable than skins or even clay, which was also in use at the time. These records needed to last, so they were put onto these plates where they would be preserved until the latter days.
Nephi gives us another peek into his humanness as he apologizes for any mistakes he might have made in this record. The mistake he seems to be referring to here is any mistake in judgment as to what should be included or excluded in this record. That makes me think that the Lord dictated not everything in the record, but Nephi had the ability to decide what was sacred and what was not. And furthermore, that seems to be the pattern of prophets before his time as well. If Nephi is making a mistake in what he includes in this record, then the prophets older than him did as well. I presume this is because the types of things Nephi includes are consistent with previous scripture. Another way of looking at it is that because Nephi’s writings are so Christ-centered, the other prophets’ writings are also Christ-centered. In this regard, when Nephi talks about his weakness he is still wiser and “stronger” than others who are not receiving revelation from God (see 1 Corinthians 1:25).
  • Mormon 8:17 (13–17)
  • Ether 12:23 (23–28)

No comments: