16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.
Another beautiful bit of imagery to add to verse 15, although
more graphic, is the statement that the Lord has “graven thee upon the palms of
my hands.” This is an obvious reference to Christ’s crucifixion. And much has
been written and spoken about that phrase. So I am interested in the second
part of this verse, “thy walls are continually before me.” I suppose as I have
pondered this phrase I have thought of a few possible meanings, all centering
on the purpose of walls.
Walls are usually built to protect or insulate. Another, more
specific reason for walls is to keep someone in or out. The wording seems to
indicate that the walls are Israel’s doing; they built the walls, since the
Lord calls them “thy walls,” and not His. Considering that the reference here
has been to apostate Israel, it seems reasonable to say that the walls are
built to keep the Lord out, not in. Of course we aren’t talking about physical
walls, but spiritual and emotional walls or barriers keeping the Lord out, or
insulating Israel from the Lord’s influence. These walls, built around mans’
hearts, keep their devotions apart from the Lord; they won’t let Him in to
soften their hard, insulated hearts. So why are these walls continually before
Him? I think it is because he wants to come into our hearts (or Israel’s
hearts). He would never force that devotion; that was Satan’s plan. However,
the way through a wall is a door, and He stands at that door ready to enter at
our invitation. In fact, He says that he stands at the door and knocks. He
wants entrance, but he won’t force it. Again, these particular walls are
Israel’s walls, not the Lord’s. Likewise, we are the ones building walls to
keep Him out of our hearts, and all we need do is open the door upon which he
is knocking, and He “will come in to [us], and will sup with [us], and [we]
with [Him]” (Revelation 3:20).
- Zechariah 12: 10
- Zechariah 13: 6
- Revelation 3: 20