1 Nephi 21: 25
25 But thus saith the Lord, even the captives of the mighty
shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered; for I
will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children.
Here
is the Lord’s answer to Israel’s concerns, or the rhetorical question expressed
in verse 24. The Lord will deliver captive Israel from bondage, even though
those holding them are mighty, He will deliver the victims of tyranny, and He
will fight Israel’s battles. Israel’s history is full of instances where the
Lord has fought their battles and/or delivered them from enemies. This is one
of the standing promises the Lord makes with his covenant people. As long as we
live up to our side of the covenant, He will fight our battles. This is
especially true on the macro scale, say in the case of nations. He often does
this on a micro, or personal scale as well. However, on a personal level we may
not notice His assistance as dramatically. Usually our biggest personal battle
is against an unseen enemy: Satan. The covenant people of the Lord receive the
gift of the Holy Ghost, which teaches us, strengthens us, and warns us against
attacks on our spirit. At those times when it is just too much to resist any
longer, we have been promised that the Lord would strengthen us to stand up to
it, or remove the temptation from us. President Hinckley made that promise in a
General Priesthood Meeting one time. I think his topic was pornography, but I
don’t remember for sure. But I clearly remember the promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment