Wednesday, December 10, 2014

1 Nephi 22: 28

28 But, behold, all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people shall dwell safely in the Holy One of Israel if it so be that they will repent.
After all the energy Nephi has put forth telling his brethren (and us) of the special relationship Israel has with God, it would be easy to be tempted into discouragement if you were not literally of that genealogy. Isn’t that what all the promises are about? So Nephi clearly states here that these promises of salvation apply to everyone who is willing to repent and come to the Holy One of Israel, regardless of blood lineage. Christ also taught this when he told the Jews essentially to not get cocky about being descendants of Abraham, because God is “able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham” (Luke 3: 8). Paul taught the Galatians that, “they which are of faith…are the children of Abraham…So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham” (Galatians 3: 7, 9). This is important to me, because I don’t know whether I have literal blood of Abraham running through my veins or not, but I do know that my patriarchal blessing says I am of the tribe of Ephraim, which tribe does have the blood of Abraham flowing through it. Now, as long as I am repentant it doesn’t matter what my blood lineage is. I can dwell safely in the Holy One of Israel. Thank you, Nephi, for being so clear about that. God truly is no respecter of persons.

  • Luke 3: 8
  • Galatians 3: 7–9

No comments: