6 Wherefore, I, Lehi, prophesy according to the workings of the Spirit which is in me, that there shall none come into this land save they shall be brought by the hand of the Lord.
As I read this verse I wonder how literal it is, this
prophecy about the only people who “come into this land” shall be “brought by
the hand of the Lord.” I don’t think, for example, it extends to those who come
here with malicious intent. For example, I doubt that those people who
destroyed the World Trade Center in 2001 were here because the Lord brought
them. On the other hand, if they were, we should have taken it as a major call
to repentance, a warning. Many people at the time went back to church, but
unfortunately it didn’t last very long.
I think, however, that this verse is prophesying more about
people who come here to live. And in this case, I don’t know if it is referring
to “this land” as a geographical or political location. Of course, the
political boundaries that exist today did not exist in Lehi’s time. We often
think that these kinds of prophecies refer to the United States, but really,
immigrating gentiles have had just as much impact on South America as they have
in North America. One big difference is the inspired beginning or founding of
the United States. We learn in the Doctrine and Covenants that the Lord himself
established the U.S. Constitution “by the hands of wise men whom I raised up
unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood”
(D&C 101: 80). I don’t suppose other countries in the Americas can make
that claim.
So, assuming we are talking about immigrants being “brought
[here] by the had of the Lord,” does that mean we should have a different and
more merciful and tolerant views of so-called “illegal aliens?” A political
football that gets tossed around from time to time in the U.S. is illegal
immigration. Because of the freedoms we enjoy, we often have people of other countries
and nationalities who want to move here. Many do this legally by going through
the proper channels. Many others simply come here, sneaking across borders, and
start making a living to support their families. Does the hand of the Lord also
bring these people who bypass the lawful procedure here? If so, what is our
responsibility toward them, if any?