Wednesday, March 4, 2015

2 Nephi 1: 22

22 That ye may not be cursed with a sore cursing; and also, that ye may not incur the displeasure of a just God upon you, unto the destruction, yea, the eternal destruction of both soul and body.
I’m sure that just as Nephi was shown the fate of his descendants (see 1 Nephi 15: 5), Lehi knew what was in store for his, including Laman and Lemuel. I’m sure he knew that they were on track to be cursed from God. And I’m sure he knew that their wickedness was the cause of it. But I’m also sure that as a loving parent he wanted to spare them from their inevitable fate. Unfortunately, as parents we cannot shield our children from the natural consequences of their choices. Even those parents who are always bailing their children out of trouble with earthly authority cannot protect them from the eternal consequences of their choices. The best a parent can do is teach and encourage their children so they know how to avoid these consequences, and are motivated to do what it takes to avoid them. So Lehi teaches, preaches, and warns his children of the fate that awaits them at the end of the road they are on. I think Mormon probably described how Lehi felt about his wayward children when he described all he had done for his people, and loved them, but, “it was without faith, because of the hardness of their hearts: (Mormon 3: 12). Lehi must have felt much the same about his sons.
Of course we know that the Lamanites were marked with a dark skin, but the real curse was the “eternal destruction of both soul and body.” I’m not sure what he means when he talks about the destruction of the body, in light of the resurrection.

  • 2 Nephi 5: 21–24

No comments: