Sunday, November 2, 2008
Question about light
Just a quick break from the scripture journal to ask a question that came to me yesterday. I have been reading Hearing the Voice of the Lord by Gerald N. Lund. It's a book about personal revelation, and the part I read yesterday had to do with light and how revelation enlightens our minds and brings light to our mind, etc. The scriptures have many references connecting revelation to light. The thought I had was a what if kind of question. What if revelation was literally light? We know that the visible light (white light) is just a small part of the whole spectrum that we can measure, from infrared on one end to ultraviolet on the other. But isn't it possible that there are frequencies beyond what we can measure? The scriptures tell us that spirit is a more pure form of matter (D&C 131:7-8), so why not a more pure form of light? So often in the scriptures we read prophecies and are surprised at how literally they are fulfilled. Why not this as well? When we are enlightened or "filled with light," couldn't it be literal light instead of just an expression? I don't have an answer to this right now, but it's an interesting thought. Along those same lines, sometimes we receive revelation as "voices" in our minds. I have had that experience, where I literally carried on a conversation in my mind, thinking thought that I know were not my own, and responding with thoughts that I know were. Is it possible that this was an example of more pure sound waves that can only be discerned by the spirit and mind? I don't know, but it doesn't seem all that strange to me. Maybe you guys out at BYU can bring it up with your religion professor. At any rate, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on my speculation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think that that is some very interesting thoughts. I think that it is very possible that there are more pure light and sound waves that the Lord uses to help us recieve revelation. I know that when I recieve revelation to somthing that I have be pondering for a long time, the only way I can think to decribe it is I feel a light inside. Same with when i attend the temple. Maybe I am just weird but sometimes it seems like there is more like then what the lamps and light fixtures should be able to put off. I had not thought of it before now, but there have been times when I recieve an answer while in the temple and the light just seems different then what it normaly should be with electricity. I have never heard voices like some others have, but I think that it could follow the same principle as the light. Very intersting thought Dad
Post a Comment