Monday, September 21, 2009

1 Nephi 5:5–6

5 But behold, I have obtained a land of promise, in the which things I do rejoice; yea, and I know that the Lord will deliver my sons out of the hands of Laban, and bring them down again unto us in the wilderness.

6 And after this manner of language did my father, Lehi, comfort my mother, Sariah, concerning us, while we journeyed in the wilderness up to the land of Jerusalem, to obtain the record of the Jews.

Lehi shows a lot of faith here in the promise he received from the Lord of giving him a land of his own for his inheritance. He uses his own great faith to strengthen Sariah, telling her that the Lord had brought them this far and He would continue to take care of them. This is not all. As I indicated in my notes for 1 Nephi 2:20, this Promised Land seems to be more than just dirt and plants. It seems to be symbolic of a more spiritual or eternal inheritance. After all, Lehi did not live long after they arrived in the Promised Land to enjoy it. And although he couldn’t know about that at this point in the narration, I’m sure Lehi was aware of the more spiritual inheritance. Sariah, at this time however, was concerned for the lives of her sons, so that is what Lehi appropriately focused on: their temporal promise and safety.
  • Hebrews 11:16

No comments: