Saturday, January 30, 2010

1 Nephi 8:4

4 But behold, Laman and Lemuel, I fear exceedingly because of you; for behold, methought I saw in my dream, a dark and dreary wilderness.

Lehi saw in his dream a “dark and dreary wilderness” that to me is symbolic of the world. More specifically, a world or a life without God, or even a world without direction. I don’t think that being in “the World” means that you necessarily want to be there or participate in it. The descriptors “dark” and “dreary” are interesting. Dark implies that it is difficult or impossible to see, while dreary seems to indicate a lack of hope or enthusiasm. Getting out of this environment requires faith and effort. Lehi’s family was able to use the Liahona to find their way through the wilderness to their Land of Promise, which Liahona only worked by faith. (Alma 37:38–46) Faith in what? Faith in God. Christ is the Light that shines in the darkness. Faith in Him will bring us out of that dark and dreary waste.

No comments: