Friday, February 26, 2010

1 Nephi 8:17–18

17 And it came to pass that I was desirous that Laman and Lemuel should come and partake of the fruit also; wherefore, I cast mine eyes towards the head of the river, that perhaps I might see them.

18 And it came to pass that I saw them, but they would not come unto me and partake of the fruit.

If a prophet’s joy (or any parent’s joy) is greatest when their own families accept the gospel and come to Christ, how great must be their disappointment and sadness when they choose to not partake. I’m sure that as much trouble as Laman and Lemuel caused, Lehi still loved them and wanted them to join him and the rest of the family at the tree. However, it should be noted that he didn’t want to be together with his sons enough to leave the tree. It was still up to Laman and Lemuel to come and partake; the tree could not go to them, nor could Lehi take some of the fruit to them. I know of some parents who, in an attempt to befriend their children and have a positive influence over them, have become caught up in the same problems the children are having. As parents, we need to teach and encourage, but never lower ourselves to the standards of a wayward child.

No comments: