Sunday, January 23, 2011

1 Nephi 12:4

4 And it came to pass that I saw a mist of darkness on the face of the land of promise; and I saw lightnings, and I heard thunderings, and earthquakes, and all manner of tumultuous noises; and I saw the earth and the rocks, that they rent; and I saw mountains tumbling into pieces; and I saw the plains of the earth, that they were broken up; and I saw many cities that they were sunk; and I saw many that they were burned with fire; and I saw many that did tumble to the earth, because of the quaking thereof.

The destructions must have been an amazing sight to see in vision. If you are in the middle of the destructions, you see your little part of them, but in vision you can see the full scope of them at once. In reviewing the account of Christ’s death as recorded in the New Testament, it looks like the signs given to the rest of the world were greater than what was shown to the Jews in Jerusalem. They experienced the storms and earthquakes, but it doesn’t seem that they had them to the extent of those recorded in the Book of Mormon. I am especially interested in the veil of darkness that covered the land for three days while Christ, “the light of the world” (John 8:12), was literally gone from the world. I think that is a very graphic display or type teaching how dependant we are upon Christ for light and life. For the three days between His death and resurrection, Christ was away from this world organizing the missionary work in the spirit world (see D&C 138). All these signs were given that those who were left alive would have no excuse to not believe that Christ had died. They stand as a powerful witness of that death.

  • 1 Nephi 19:10–12
  • Helaman 14:20–28
  • 3 Nephi 8–9
  • 3 Nephi 8:14

No comments: