28 And behold, I, Nephi, am forbidden that I should write the remainder of the things which I saw and heard; wherefore the things which I have written sufficeth me; and I have written but a small part of the things which I saw.
This follows the same theme as verses 24–25: Nephi is not allowed to tell us all that he knows. Obviously the Lord knows more than what He has revealed. And some of the knowledge He reveals is not for general consumption. If we diligently seek after answers to questions we may have, then I’m sure that it will eventually be given (Alma 40:3), as long as it is for our good and we are prepared for it (2 Nephi 2:27; 4:35). The seeking works to prepare us for the answer. A comparison would be if someone were moved forward in time in an instant. If Leonardo DaVinci had been moved to our day, he might have been able to handle it after a time because he was always searching for knowledge. He would be much better prepared for time travel than say, a person with no education and no curiosity. That person would be totally unprepared to see the mysteries of our day. It would be total sensory overload, and he would probably go crazy. Likewise, the mysteries of God are given to those who diligently seek them because the seeking prepares them to receive answers. Prophets are among the most prepared to receive mysteries, so the Lord reveals more to them than to the rest of us (not to mention it’s their job to receive those answers). However, they “are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart” that knowledge except to those who are prepared for it, “according to the heed and diligence which they give unto [the Lord]” (Alma 12:9). So prophets know more than they tell. And people who seek know more than they tell as well.
- 2 Nephi 32:7
- Alma 12:9
No comments:
Post a Comment