Sunday, April 15, 2012

1 Nephi 16:4

4 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did exhort my brethren, with all diligence, to keep the commandments of the Lord.

Nephi is ever the optimist when it comes to his brothers. I think he is also quite aware of the obligation he has to cry repentance. Christ told Peter (and I think all of us, by extension) that, “when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren” (Luke 22:32). Nephi was definitely converted, and is under the obligation to strengthen his brethren. When Nephi recorded his own conversion (1 Nephi 2:16), the first thing he did in the next two verses is to talk to his brothers to help or attempt to convert them as well. He never stops trying. I think there is evidence that he got tired of dragging especially Laman and Lemuel along spiritually, such as in chapter 15, where it seems like his patience is running a bit thin (see verses 10–11. Also 1 Nephi 17:45–47), but he never quits trying to bring them to Christ until the end, when the Lord tells him to separate his people from their people. Even more important than whether Nephi lost patience, he loved his brethren, and it was sincere. He really wanted them to succeed.

No comments: