Thursday, May 17, 2012

1 Nephi 16:13


13 And it came to pass that we traveled for the space of four days, nearly a south-southeast direction, and we did pitch our tents again; and we did call the name of the place Shazer.
I have often wondered why the Liahona had two spindles, and whether the second one that Nephi didn’t describe in verse 10 was simply a compass. This verse may give a clue to that idea. This is the first time Nephi has given a direction as it would be read on a compass, “nearly a south-southeast direction.” Previously, when Nephi gave directions for their travels it was with landmarks (see 1 Nephi 2:4–5). I don’t know if it’s conclusive, but it’s interesting that Nephi uses compass directions for the first time after they get the Liahona. I’m sure that part of the reason could be that they were heading into a part of the wilderness they were not familiar with, but it just seems like quite a coincidence that Nephi starts using compass directions right after receiving the Liahona.

No comments: