Wednesday, May 30, 2012

1 Nephi 16:18–32 Overview


This story of Nephi’s broken bow is one that falls into the category I wrote about in verse 17. What made this particular even significant enough to include in the record of this family’s journey to the Promised Land? Was it to show that even prophets have their negative moments (vs. 20)? Was it to show another discovery about the Liahona (vs. 27–29)? It could be any or all of these and more. I would like to suggest that since the record of Nephi is a spiritual record first and foremost, maybe there could be a deeper spiritual purpose.
As I have pondered this, it seems like it could be a type or shadow of things to come. What if these bows represented the Nephite and Lamanite people, or the peoples’ relationship to the Gospel of Jesus Christ? The food would then be the fruits of that covenant. If we look at it in this way, Nephi’s broken bow could represent the fallen or apostate Nephites. They broke with the covenant. His brethrens’ bows lost their springs (which seems a bit too coincidental, that Nephi’s was the only bow left). Losing their springs instead of breaking could represent a simple falling away, a dwindling in unbelief rather than open rebellion. The new bow that Nephi made represents a restoration of the Gospel, after which they were able to receive revelation again (Liahona), and obtain the fruits of the Spirit, or spiritual nourishment once again (slain wild beasts). I don’t know if that’s why this account was included, but it could well be a prophecy by way of types and shadows. Just like this whole trip Lehi’s family is making to the Promised Land could be seen as parallel to our own journey through life to a spiritual promised land. I just don’t think the scriptures are random, and they often mean more than meets the eye.

No comments: