Wednesday, June 26, 2013

1 Nephi 19: 1


1 And it came to pass that the Lord commanded me, wherefore I did make plates of ore that I might engraven upon them the record of my people. And upon the plates which I made I did engraven the record of my father, and also our journeyings in the wilderness, and the prophecies of my father; and also many of mine own prophecies have I engraven upon them.
It would be interesting to see the fuller account of the Nephites. However, if we had the large plates of Nephi translated, I think that for many, the significant doctrine and testimony of Christ would probably get lost in the details of their history and society. We commonly note that the reason the Lord had these small plates made was in preparation to lose the 116 manuscript pages during translation. But another reason for the small plates could be so we, as readers, don’t get so bogged down with history that we forget the main purpose of the Book of Mormon: to testify of Christ.

No comments: