Friday, June 28, 2013

1 Nephi 19: 2


2 And I knew not at the time when I made them that I should be commanded of the Lord to make these plates; wherefore, the record of my father, and the genealogy of his fathers, and the more part of all our proceedings in the wilderness are engraven upon those first plates of which I have spoken; wherefore, the things which transpired before I made these plates are, of a truth, more particularly made mention upon the first plates.
Nephi wants to be as clear as possible about the records he has kept. His first record has become the official state record of the more day-to-day affairs of the kingdom. It goes into more detail about histories and genealogies. This record (the small plates) is the official record of the “church,” even though there doesn’t seem to be an official, organized church at the time Nephi is making his records. This might be compared to our Doctrine and Covenants in today’s canon of scriptures. These plates, at any rate, record the spiritual matters of the people, while the other plates record the more temporal matters of the kingdom.
It occurs to me that this is a model that I should follow more closely. I keep this journal of my research and thoughts about my study of the Book of Mormon, but I should be more diligent in my journal of more day-to-day, temporal matters.
  • 1 Nephi 9:2 (1–5)

No comments: