22 Now it came to pass that I, Nephi, did teach my brethren these things; and it came to pass that I did read many things to them, which were engraven upon the plates of brass, that they might know concerning the doings of the Lord in other lands, among people of old.
Throughout First Nephi I have thought that my opinion of
Laman and Lemuel might be wrong. I’m not so convinced that they are the evil
people I once took them to be. I now believe it’s more complex than that. In
fact, they don’t seem all that different from me or anyone else I know, at
least at his point of the story. This verse is another one giving evidence to
that idea. If they were so simply wicked, I doubt they would allow their father
and younger brother to preach to them. They wouldn’t listen to Nephi read
scripture to them. I doubt they would have the patience for it. And then, after
Nephi finishes reading, they don’t ridicule him or blow him off. Rather, they
ask him what it means (see 1 Nephi 22:1). Furthermore, this is not the first
time they have done this. Chapter 15 records a series of questions they asked,
trying to understand the Tree of Life vision. They have shown themselves to be
at least somewhat obedient, maybe for the wrong reasons, but at least they did
the things that were required of them.
I think the lesson to be learned from Laman is deeper than
just good vs. evil. All too often I relate more closely with Laman than I do
with Nephi. Although thankfully, Nephi gives us some very personal insights
into his character that let us know that he is not perfect either (see 2 Nephi
4:17–19 for example). Laman and Lemuel strike me as people who were brought up
in a faithful home, and they seem to have believed the teachings they grew up
with. The story of Moses seems to have had particular meaning for them. They
know they should obey and do the right things, but they also have a powerful
temptation, a chronic temptation that they just can’t seem to shake. Of course,
in the end they finally just give in to their pride, which is why Nephi and his
followers break off and become the Nephites.
The lesson I learn from Laman and Lemuel is about never
giving up. Their sins were forgiven them each time they repented of the same
thing over and over, but in the end they stopped repenting. They just gave up. And
their giving up affected many generations after them. I think they let the
jealousy and pride temptations to fester in their souls until it finally just
became too much, and they gave up. They gave me hope for me, until that
happened.
So the question for me and for everyone is whether we will
give up our struggle against our own chronic temptations. We all have these
weaknesses. In fact a verse in the scriptures that gives me a lot of hope is
Ether 12: 26–27, where it is revealed that the Lord gives us weaknesses that we may be humble and turn to Him.
Weaknesses are our own personal Lamanites, given to us to “stir [us] up in the
ways of remembrance” (see 1 Nephi 2:24). Our challenge is to not give in to our
weaknesses, our Lamanites. The Zoramites are an example of a people who ultimately
embraced their “inner Lamanite.” And once they gave in and became Lamanites,
they were even harder and worse than those who grew up as Lamanites (see Alma
43:4, 6–8). This is also true on a personal level, where those who become “Lamanites”
are angrier toward those who are trying to resist. The scriptures are full of
these examples. I pray every day for the strength to continue the fight and not
give up to my inner Lamanite.
- 1 Nephi 22:1