12 Hearken unto me, O Jacob, and Israel my called, for I am he; I am the first, and I am also the last.
This verse establishes, or verifies that Israel’s God is
Jesus Christ. Of course, they didn’t know him by that name, but there are
enough places throughout the scriptures where Christ is referred to as the “first
and the last,” “Alpha and Omega,” etc. that there can be no doubt for us (see
Revelation 1: 8; 3 Nephi 9:18; and D&C 19: 1 for an example of this in each
of the Standard Works of the Church). Israel has a call to be the Lord’s
covenant people. That means that they (we) have the right and responsibility to
participate in accomplishing God’s work and glory. This includes the teachings
and ordinances necessary for salvation that must be provided under the proper
authority. Those not having authority cannot perform these. Of course, in the
process of providing the means of salvation for others, we also partake of
those ordinances ourselves. That is the calling of God’s people, or at least a
big part of it.