Wednesday, January 1, 2014

1 Nephi 20: 9


9 Nevertheless, for my name’s sake will I defer mine anger, and for my praise will I refrain from thee, that I cut thee not off.
In spite of the fact that the house of Israel has been trouble since the very beginning, the Lord made a promise to the patriarchs of the people, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He promised, among other things, that his covenant with Abraham would be, “between…thy (Abraham’s) seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant…” (Genesis 17:7, my emphasis). The covenant was continued through Isaac (Genesis 21:12), then to Jacob, who took the birthright from Esau (Genesis 25:29–34; 27:6–40). So to preserve this covenant, and to keep His word and His good name as being true to His covenants, the Lord will not break the covenants He made with the patriarchs. He will defer his anger and not cut off the children of Israel from the covenant.

No comments: