Thursday, October 9, 2008

1 Nephi 1:8

And being thus overcome with the Spirit, he was carried away in a vision, even that he saw the heavens open, and he thought he saw God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels in the attitude of singing and praising their God.
Several places in the scriptures talk about the heavens being opened and someone seeing God. D&C 137 seems to have the descriptive account.
  • D&C 137:1–5

2 comments:

Tasha Hale said...

Did Alvin Smith receive vicarious baptism? I know the Lord told Joseph in these verses that he obtained celestial glory, even though he was not alive when the gospel was restored, but wouldn't he have to receive the ordinance anyway? Isn't that why we do baptisms for the dead?

Thomas and I are reading the Pearl of Great Price, and it's amazing to see how many of the ancient prophets saw God face to face and were shown great visions of the earth and its people.

Alma said...

Right. We all have to accept this ordinance, even Christ Himself did. I finally found documentation for Alvin being baptized. Joseph F. Smith, Jr. said in the October 1911 General Conference that he was baptized vicariously. I also found something in Volume 18 of BYU Studies. D. Michael Quinn says there that Hyrum Smith was baptized for Alvin in Nauvoo.


As for seeing God face to face, I think it would be helpful, if not downright necessary, for a special witness for Jesus Christ to have that kind of personal experience with Him. Our modern prophets don't really talk about it, but I would not be surprised to hear that they have had these kinds of experiences as well.