Wednesday, August 12, 2009

1 Nephi 4:10

10 And it came to pass that I was constrained by the Spirit that I should kill Laban; but I said in my heart: Never at any time have I shed the blood of man. And I shrunk and would that I might not slay him.

I suppose I would doubt myself if I received inspiration to kill someone. Knowing that murder is on of the most serious of sins, I would struggle with inspiration to kill a helpless person like Laban was at this point: passed out drunk. I might even question the source of my inspiration. This must be what was going through Nephi’s mind. But when the Lord tells you to kill someone, you do it, or the sin of disobedience overshadows. In 1 Samuel 15:3–33 we read about king Saul and how he was told by the prophet Samuel to wipe out the Amalekites. He wasn’t supposed to leave anyone or anything alive. So they went in, wiped out the Amalekites, but kept the king alive and the best of the flocks and herds for the purpose of sacrificing. When Samuel chastised him, Saul tried to repent, but it was too little too late. While he was allowed to worship the Lord again, the kingdom was taken from him, and he no longer had the blessing of the Lord. So when the Lord tells you to do something, do it, even if it seems against what you have been taught.

No comments: