Tuesday, August 25, 2009

1 Nephi 4:14

14 And now, when I, Nephi, had heard these words, I remembered the words of the Lord which he spake unto me in the wilderness, saying that: Inasmuch as thy seed shall keep my commandments, they shall prosper in the land of promise.

Here is mention again of prospering in the land of promise if Nephi and his seed keep the commandments. I see this as a multi-layered expression. The obvious and most visible layer is exactly what is said, that Nephi’s seed will prosper in the land as long as they are obedient. Ether 2:7–12 brings that promise to any nation that inhabits the land, and Mormon here speaks directly and pointedly to us Gentiles of the last days. This promise extends to any nation that possesses the land. Getting more specific, in Mosiah 2:22, King Benjamin makes this a personal promise, that “if [we] do keep his commandments he doth bless [us] and prosper [us].”

The whole concept of the “Promised Land” can be taken even deeper as a metaphor of this life’s journey and our return to our Heavenly Father. In 1 Nephi 2:20, where Nephi is first given this promise, the Lord tells him that he would be led to “a land which I have prepared for you; yea a land which is choice above all other lands.” This reminded me of John 14:2, where Christ tells his disciples that in “my Father’s house are many mansions…I go to prepare a place for you.” This life is a spiritual journey leading back to Heavenly Father. 1 Nephi 17:13 talks about how the Lord will lead them to the promised land, which is how we return to the “most promised land” of the Kingdom of God. That is, only through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

  • Omni 1:6
  • Mosiah 2:22
  • Ether 2:7 (7–12)

No comments: