Thursday, March 17, 2011

1 Nephi 13:1–3

1 And it came to pass that the angel spake unto me, saying: Look! And I looked and beheld many nations and kingdoms.

2 And the angel said unto me: What beholdest thou? And I said: I behold many nations and kingdoms.

3 And he said unto me: These are the nations and kingdoms of the Gentiles.

As Nephi’s vision continues, the angel takes a moment to simplify things for Nephi. He shows him all the kingdoms and nations of the world and lumps them into a category: Gentiles. This would be all the nations that are not specifically descendents of Israel. Although, in my mind I usually think of the European nations as the Gentiles, I think this is a broader definition that includes any people that do not accept the covenants of the chosen lineage, Israel. The Book of Mormon makes this same kind of simplification throughout by dividing the descendants into Nephites and Lamanites, even though there are other lineages besides Nephi and Laman. (see Jacob 1:13–14) This makes sense later in the vision when Nephi is told there are only two churches: God’s and everyone else’s. (see 1 Nephi 14:10)

No comments: