5 And we did come to the land which we called Bountiful, because of its much fruit and also wild honey; and all these things were prepared of the Lord that we might not perish. And we beheld the sea, which we called Irreantum, which, being interpreted, is many waters.
When I think of the part of the world where this passage of
the Book of Mormon takes place I do not think of the word “bountiful.” That is
simply evidence of my ignorance. In researching where this land that the
Lehites called Bountiful may have been, I have been treated to some beautiful,
lush photographs. Certainly the desert is a major part of the landscape.
However, every once in awhile, near the coasts, there are places that truly are
bountiful. This, in fact, is one small piece of evidence in favor of the
authenticity of the Book of Mormon as a translation rather than fabrication. No
way did Joseph Smith have any detailed information about the Arabian Peninsula.
Many of these discoveries of this region have only been known by the outside
world for less than 100 years. Yet here was a land with probably more fruit
than they had seen in years, and bees to support that vegetation.
One thing I find curious about the Book of Mormon is when the
authors use a word, then give the translation of that word. This verse is a
good example of that. I wonder what language the term “Irreantum” was
originally. Apparently a language other than what the Lehites normally spoke.
Other examples of using another language include the words, “Rabbanah” (Alma
18:13), “Rameumptom” (Alma 31:21), “Liahona” (Alma 37:38), “deseret” (Ether
2:3), and “Ripliancum” (Ether 15:8).