6 And it came to pass that we did pitch our tents by the seashore; and notwithstanding we had suffered many afflictions and much difficulty, yea, even so much that we cannot write them all, we were exceedingly rejoiced when we came to the seashore; and we called the place Bountiful, because of its much fruit.
I can just imagine what it must have been like, after eight years
of hard travel and difficulties, especially with regards to diet, to arrive in
this place with more fruit and vegetation than they had seen for a long time.
Finally they could really stop and know they weren’t getting ready for another
hike across the desert. Finally they could eat their fill without worrying
about rationing for tomorrow. Finally they could bathe and relax on some parts
of this difficult life. I imagine there was quite a celebration when they arrived
in this land they called Bountiful. I’m sure they built an alter at some point
and gave their thank offerings to the Lord, but for now, I’m sure it was a time
of just celebrating. All differences forgotten for the moment, I’m sure they
just rejoiced together.