Wednesday, November 2, 2011

1 Nephi 15:1

1 And it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had been carried away in the spirit, and seen all these things, I returned to the tent of my father.

It appears that Nephi may have been actually, physically carried away to another location. As far as I can tell, sometimes when the scriptures use the term “carried away in the spirit,” it can either mean a higher state of meditation, where visions are shown, or actually moving the recipient’s body to a different location, usually a mountain. 1 Nephi 11:1, the beginning of Nephi’s vision, states that he was “caught away in the Spirit of the Lord…into an exceeding high mountain,” which he had never seen or visited. He is apparently referring to this experience in 2 Nephi 4:25 when he says that his body had been “carried away upon exceedingly high mountains.” What a fascinating experience that would be, to be physically transported to another location in an instant. And yet, I think the transport itself would pale compared to the visions that were sure to follow.

  • 1 Nephi 11:1
  • 2 Nephi 4:25

No comments: