5 And it came to pass that I was overcome because of my afflictions, for I considered that mine afflictions were great above all, because of the destruction of my people, for I had beheld their fall.
Here, Nephi is overcome with sadness, or just overwhelmed with what he saw. He says it is because of the destruction of his people, but I think that it is more likely the reason for the destruction, which is wickedness. Death is a part of life, but destruction of a whole people, like what Nephi saw, only comes out of wickedness. And I’m sure Nephi knew that his people were protected as long as they remembered the Lord and kept His commandments. Enoch saw the destruction of all people except Noah’s family at the time of the flood, and “had bitterness of soul, … and said to the heavens: I will refuse to be comforted” (see Moses 7:41–47). He thought all was lost until he was shown Christ’s Atonement, at which time he rejoiced. The problem is not the physical destruction. The problem with what Nephi and Enoch saw, and why they were overcome with grief was the spiritual destruction that led to the physical destruction.
- Moses 7:44 (41–47)
No comments:
Post a Comment