6 And it came to pass that after I had received strength I spake unto my brethren, desiring to know of them the cause of their disputations.
Spiritual experiences can be exhausting. At least prolonged ones can be. Nephi, Moses (Moses 1:10), Joseph Smith (Joseph Smith-History 1:20) all had the same experience after seeing the Lord in vision. They were exhausted, or overcome physically with the experience. Moses and Joseph Smith went so far as to record that they essentially passed out from the experience, having no natural strength (see Moses 1:9–11; Joseph Smith-History 1:20). While Nephi doesn’t tell us that he passed out, we see in this verse he was weakened after being in a transfigured state that allowed him to see his great vision. I’ve had just a portion of that feeling at especially spiritual experiences, such as temple dedications. I just come away exhausted, and I have never seen the kind of vision that Nephi had, let alone see the Lord Himself, like Moses, Joseph Smith, or the brother of Jared. Here, Nephi, once he has the strength to deal with his murmuring brothers, goes to teach them and to referee their arguments.
- Moses 1:10
- JS-H 1:20, 48
No comments:
Post a Comment